Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Cabbage Rolls (Halishkes)



I love these Cabbage Rolls!
These Cabbage Rolls are a version of a recipe I found from a Montreal Canada, Jewish women's cookbook that my family calls "The Bible". 
Serve them with rice or egg noodles for a delicious meal every time!


1 head cabbage
3/4 lb. ground beef (I use the leanest cut I can find)
1/4 rice
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. sugar
1egg
1 onion, diced
1 C. Water
1 28 oz can chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp. tomato paste     


-Cut off the bottom end of the head of cabbage and carefully separate the leaves. If you need help doing this pour some hot water over the bottom of the head to soften it up.  Keep separating the leaves until they get too small to make into a roll or to hard to separate. Chop these small leaves and set them aside.  
-Place the separated leaves in a bowl. Pour boiling water over the leaves, cover and let stand for about 15 minutes (until the leaves are soft and pliable). 
-Combine meat, rice, seasonings and egg and mix well.
-Drain water from leaves.
-Place a small scoop of meat on each leaf and roll up cabbage tucking in ends.




-Place diced onion in the bottom of a heavy pot and sauté until browned. Place the sliced cabbage into this onion mixture and allow it to cook down for about 5 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
-Add your wrapped cabbage rolls to the pot on top of the onion and chopped cabbage mixture and pour in the water.


-Cover and cook over low heat for 1 hr.
-Add the chopped tomatoes (with the juice from the can) and tomato paste ( I recommend mixing it with a little water to create a soup like consistency)
-Cook covered for 1/2 hour more, or until the tomato mixture looks thickened
-Add additional seasonings if desired
-ENJOY!


(Yields aprox. 12 rolls)







8 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness I made these cabbage rolls and they were DELICOUS!!! My husband and kids just devoured them. Can't wait for more recipes! Thanks Jaclyn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a Bubbe, I cook these for my grandchildren and they love them! It means they want to spend more time with their Bubbe, which makes me happy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi. Not sure if my comment is posting but I am thrilled to have access to your delicious recipes now! And your mom says hello ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this recipe...I remember when we made it when I came to Seattle...this is such a cute idea!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well they look darn tasty, but I am a vegetarian and cannot eat these. I'm sure you could post a very good vegetarian recipe for those of us who do not eat meat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jaclyn, the recipe turned out amazing, great directions! And might I say, LOVE the nail color! Keep 'em coming.

    ReplyDelete
  7. For those who want a vegetarian version I reccomend using sauted mushrooms instead of the meat. You can also add other vegies such as peppers and anything else you like. In order to hold the mixture together I would add more eggs and rice (and maybe some breadcrumbs).
    Let me know how they turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooh the vegetarian version sounds good...I'm going to make it with my vegetarian bf!

    ReplyDelete